In developing the latest update for End Space VR I ran into a problem of getting my PS4 controller to work correctly with the Gear VR and the Google Cardboard. Both devices run on Android and both suffer from the same problem of not being 100% compatible with the PS4 controller without some work. I wanted to put together a quick guide to show how to setup your PS4 controller with Android so it will work with the Gear VR and the Google Cardboard. First how to setup for Bluetooth and afterwards how you can do it with USB.
PS4 pairing with Bluetooth Connection on Android
1. First root your phone. This method won’t work without root. If you don’t want to root your phone see below and try the USB method. If you don’t know how or what root is, do a search on how to do it for your device. It can be a little risky so do your research first.
2. After your device is rooted download the Sixaxis Compatibility Checker. If your device is compatible proceed to step 3. If not USB might be your only solution.
3. Download the Sixaxis Controller app. It’s a paid app but so far it’s the only one that I have found that works correctly. Once downloaded install the app.
4. You might be able to skip this step but I couldn’t. Go to http://www.dancingpixelstudios.com/sixaxiscontroller/tool.html and download the SixaxisPairTool for your PC. Install the tool. When it’s finished installing, run the SixaxisPairTool and plug your PS4 controller into your PC with a USB cable. It should find your controller.
5. Pick up your phone and start the Sixaxis Controller app. At the bottom of the screen it should display your local Bluetooth address for your phone e.g. 22:22:04:12:E0:59
6. Enter that local address into the SixaxisPairTool and click update. Your controller should now be set to connect with your Android device.
7. Now go back to your Android device and in the Sixaxis Controller app click Start. It will start a server and your phones Bluetooth connection and start looking for your PS4 controller. On your PS4 controller hit the PS or Home button, the controller should blink and then connect to your phone. If it doesn’t connect your Bluetooth address is probably wrong. Repeat steps 4-6. Your PS4 controller light should turn a solid blue when it’s connected.
8. In the Sixaxis Controller app click the 3 dots in the top right and select ‘Preferences’.
9. In Preferences go to Gamepad settings.
10. Check ‘Enable Gamepad’.
11. Now go to ‘Edit Mappings’.
12. For my controller and android device I had to make the following changes:
Cross – Set to A
Circle – Set to B
Square – Set to X
Triangle – Set to Y
13. The rest of the mappings stayed the same for me, your mileage my vary. Click the back button.
14. The Sixaxis Controller app will continue to run in the background and should now be setup correctly.
15. Now place your phone into the Gear VR or start your Google Cardboard app and you should have a fully functional gamepad inside your game.
PS4 controller over USB Connection on Android
1. For USB your phone doesn’t need to be rooted and it should work correctly once all connected.
2. Purchase a Micro USB OTG Adapter if you don’t have one yet. If you do go get it.
3. Plug your PS4 controller into a USB cable, and the USB cable into the Micro USB OTG Adapter.
4. Plug the Micro USB OTG adaptor into the Gear VR. There’s a Micro USB port on the bottom right side of the Gear VR.
5. Now plug your phone into the Gear VR.
6. Assuming everything is connected your PS4 controller should be working as expected inside the Gear VR depending on if the app supports gamepads. My PS4 controller flashes orange once when first connected over USB.
7. If you have a Google Cardboard plug the Micro USB OTG Adaptor directly into your Android device it and it should work perfectly.
8. Let me know if it worked for you in the comments below. I’m not responsible if things go wrong and if it doesn’t work. This is what worked for me and hopefully worked for you. For the Gear VR release of End Space VR it’s going to requite a gamepad and I hope this helps out some people to get their PS4 controller working with tier Gear VR and Google Cardboard.
- 10 VR Games We Can’t Wait To Play in 2016
- 20 biggest 3D movies of 2016 for Gear VR, Google Cardboard, VR One, Oculus Rift DK2
- Detailed Tips About Playing Any Videos on PS4
- Play 3D Blu-ray ISO on Google Cardboard with 3D effect
- Play 3D Blu-ray ISO on Gear VR 2015 through Galaxy Note 5
- View 3D Blu-ray on DESTEK 2016 New Version Vone 3D VR via Galaxy S6/Edge