With 3D movie taking up a large percent of film market, 3D Headsets/Glasses are pouring into the market , too. Oculus Rift DK2 is the top one among many3D Headsets/Glasses. For those who just get a Oculus Rift DK2 in hand, he/she maybe don’t know how to watch 3D movies in Oculus Rift DK2. Here, the article shows you the detailed steps to enjoy 3D movie experience on Oculus Rift DK2.
To have a wonderful 3D experience on Oculus Rift DK2. You need two extra things – VR Player and media player. The following is to teach the green hands for Oculus Rift DK2 how to set up. We will take VLC player as an example.
DK2 + VR Player + VLC Player: Getting Home Theater Experience
1. Download and install VLC Player
2. Download and install VR Player
3. You then need to download the DK2 Tracker (Hosted here case it is removed from where I got it from) for motion tracking with the player
4. Expand the .zip and copy to the following location (or wherever you installed VR Player): C:\Program Files (x86)\VR Player\Trackers
5. Open up VR player and set the tracker that you just copied as follows:
2. Ensure your windows monitor is setup so your rift is secondary.
3. For 3D movies such as Big Hero 6:
Menu – Media – Format – Side By Side
Menu – Media – Projection – Plane
4. If your movie is not 3D
Menu – Media – Format – Mono
Menu – Media – Projection – Plane
5. To open a movie select:
Menu – File – Open File – With VLC
6. Browse to your selected movie.
7. Now that the movie is running you need to move the video screen onto your Oculus screen.
In my case the Oculus is my second monitor to the left. So I hit these keys:
Hit Windows Key + Cursor Key Left (Do this twice, this moves the window to your Oculus)
Hit Windows Key + Cursor Key Up (This maximizes the window)
Put on headphones and enjoy!
Note: the 3D movies must be the format that supported by Oculus Rift DK2. 3D Blu-ray movies will not be accepted by Oculus Rift DK2 for lacking of Blu-ray drive. But if you want to watch your 3D Blu-ray movies on Oculus Rift DK2, we have an another way: ripping Blu-ray to Oculus Rift DK2 supported format.
To achieve the goal, you can adopt iFastime Video Converter Ultimate for Mac for help. it can transform 3D Blu-ray to Oculus Rift DK2 suitable 3D MP4 with just few clicks. Besides, it can create 3D movies from 2D Blu-ray/DVD, H.265/MP4/MOV/MKV/AVI, etc video for Rift DK2, VR One, Gear VR.
What’s more, it can also output 3D models including Anaglyph (Red/cyan), Anaglyph (Green/magenta), Anaglyph (Amber/blue), Top and Bottom (Full), Top and Bottom (Half-Height) for watching on other 3D devices. Windows vesion is here.
Free download and install Mac version at below:
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/iFastime-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-76448683.html
- Top 4 Download: http://www.top4download.com/ifastime-video-converter-ultimate-for-mac/hekvsosm.html
- WinSite Download: http://www.winsite.com/Multimedia/Video/IFastime-Video-Converter-Ultimate-for-Mac/
Steps to rip Blu-ray to Oculus Rift DK2 suitable format
Step 1: Add Blu-ray movies
Step 2: Select output format
Click the “Format” bar, “MP4 Side-by-Side 3D Video (*.mp4)” or “MKV Side-by-Side 3D Video (*.mkv)” from “3D Video” profile list is recommended for Oculus Rift DK2.
TIP: By clicking the “Settings” button, you can modify the video/audio parameters. 3D depth can be adjusted here.
Step 4: Start to rip Blu-ray to Oculus Rift DK2
When all settings are done, press the big “Start conversion” button on the right to start converting Blu-ray files to Oculus Rift DK2 on Mac. The conversion takes a few minutes, if you don’t have time to wait, you can choose “Shut down computer after conversion”. Then your computer will be turned off automatically after the conversion is finished.
Now, follow the steps mentioned on the top of the article to watch 3D Blu-ray movies on Oculus Rift DK2.